Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Dulce De Leche Frosting

Dulce De Leche! It's such a fun word to say. It reminds me of my daughter's favorite book "Fancy Nancy". She's so fun and always has something marvelous and fancy to say. Being a mom of all girls is like being a little girl and getting to play dress up with her little dolls everyday!

Ok, I'm getting way off topic. I could talk to you about how adorable my kids are all day long, but I think you really want to know all about this delicious sweet treat.

So here's a funny story..just a couple days ago I learned how to make dulce de leche. I have never made this before and I have to say I was quite excited about it! I love to google and surf all over the internet for delicious goodies. On this particular night I was up late and exhausted from a long day. I had just come across this recipe for a one step, one ingredient recipe for dulce de leche! I was so excited! So the trick is to get a can of  "condensed milk" and put inside of your crock pot for 6/8 hours and let it come to room temp. and inside will be this delicious caramelized can of goodness. Well, silly tired me put in a can of "evaporated milk" instead! haha. Needless to say when I opened the can, it wasn't what I had been dreaming of all night long! To my dismay, all I had was caramelized milk? lol It was brown and did not smell pleasant. The following day I retried this recipe the correct way and the outcome was so much better and tastier!

So you will need:
1-2 cans of Condensed Milk
1 crock pot
Remove the label off the can and place the can in your crock pot and fill it up with water.
Leave it in the crock pot for 6/8 hours and apply water as needed.
Remove the can from the water and let it come to room temperature.
Open the can and enjoy the delicious goodness you've created! I used mine to make frosting.

Frosting
Milk
2 cups Powdered Sugar
Dulce De Leche

 scoop 1/2 cup of the dulce de leche mix from the can into a bowl. With your mixer mix the dulce de leche and slowly add in a little powdered sugar at a time. The mix will become really thick so you will need to apply a little milk as you go until you get the consistency that you want.

This will be so lovely on any treat, but today I put mine on butter pecan cupcakes. Once a month I try to make cupcakes to celebrate a new milestone for my newest addition. This month we are celebrating 4 months!

2 comments:

  1. Looks really delicious. You threw me for a minute when you said remove label and place in crock pot. I couldn't see how placing a label inside the crock pot was going to produce much...lol. Thanks for sharing your recipes. Look forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete